Monday, November 30, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
the light through the leaves as i lay on my back looking up at the sky
the birds with their darting eyes, ever-vigilant, taking turns at the bird-feeder
empty roads and empty trails, beckoning me up and over, around and down...
crisp evening air, smoke curling from the chimney, huddled in my wearable blanket, in awe of the milky way, sliver moon and distant city lights...
as for thanksgiving, i am really blessed beyond measure, but i am especially grateful for these past 3 months - the opportunity to travel and spend quality time with family and new friends (you know who you are!) were exactly what i needed to help move beyond the major funk i found myself in after the demise of my teaching career - LOVE to you all - i am forever grateful!!!
P.S. more photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomadicnotebook/
P.S.S. i also updated bunches of photos on my website here: http://www.nomadicnotebook.com/gallery.htm
Monday, November 23, 2009
after procrastinating for another year, i have taken on this project and am finding it strangely moving and rewarding. her presence and voice are so apparent behind the words as i write them and i am gaining a wealth of information, not only about her and her family, but about life in those days (20's and 30's). she always had a fabulous mind for details and i can't believe some of the little things she remembered!
it saddens me that i wasn't interested enough to ask about these details while she was still alive. my questions now remain unanswered. if you are lucky enough to still have your parents, don't pass up the opportunity to ask and learn. you will both be enriched by the experience!
Friday, November 20, 2009
Here are the rules:
1. thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. nominate 7 Kreative Bloggers.
6. post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.
Here are my 7 things:
1. i just got back from 3 days up on palomar mountain. i've been going on "solo retreats" for about 6 years now and absolutely love it. i think this was the best yet (couple of photos below - more to come!)
2. i grew up in michigan, but opted to skip my college graduation ceremony in favor of heading (sight unseen!) to california. within about a week i had a job, an apartment on the ocean, 2 room-mates and a boyfriend (those were the days!)
3. i'm a natural blonde and have never (yet) tried coloring my hair.
4. i'm a pretty healthy eater, but i like my candy and eat it every day - mostly chewy stuff - red licorice, gummy worms and best of all, laffy taffy (don't tell my dentist!)
5. i've been married to the same guy for 31(!) years. we've had 5 motorhomes (mostly lemons!) and have been to dozens of really out-of-the-way places and hiked hundreds of miles of trails.
6. my favorite store is the goodwill (and salvation army, amvets, etc.) i was thrift shopping long before it became cool and environmentally friendly.
7. i've always wanted to live in a log cabin. it can be really simple, but has to have a killer view!
so there you have it... and now i nominate 2 very worthy candidates:
FANCIFUL CREATIONS BY PAM
About Memories and More (Kirsten)
sorry i couldn't follow the rules - i guess i should get out there and read more blogs... enjoy the photos below
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
close your eyes and feel the healing aroma course through your veins,
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Monday, November 9, 2009
Friday, November 6, 2009
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
as i was heading into the relentless wind in manzanita last month, i thought about how tempting it was to turn around so i could have the wind at my back. but at the same time i realized that that would not take me as far as i wanted to go....
so i faced the wind and walked right into it. i pushed on... and eventually i did get to turn around and feel the wind at my back.
a few days later and back at home, i want out for a run. although i was not running into the wind, i felt like stopping. but when i remembered my walk in the wind and its message to me, i pushed on .... and finished the run.
Monday, November 2, 2009
i am so very, very grateful to those of you who have chosen, in the course of your hectic days, (i hope i'm not assuming too much there...) to stop by and, at least momentarily, be my little audience. it's really quite an exhilarating feeling!
Sunday, November 1, 2009
thanks, lee and carolyn, you really outdid yourselves this time!!