Sunday, July 29, 2012

Doing vs. Being




I used to think I had to be doing something all the time.  as in every minute.  keeping busy at all costs.  i came from a heavily work-ethic laden background.  that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  it has bestowed on me the admirable traits of drive and perseverance.  






 but i have learned so much in these last few years.  (getting old does have its upside…)  i’ve learned that there is so much more to life than constant activity and checking off entries on my to-do list.

i’ve learned the richness of silence. 
the beauty of being.
the joy of solitude.
and the nurture of nature.





it’s TRULY a whole new world





i still have plenty of to-do lists.  i still stuggle with the need to “accomplish” in order to feel good about myself and my day.  it’s in my dna after all.  but there is a big change in my awareness level and that, my friends, is a very good thing.

 (all pics from earlier this month in coastal Oregon)

6 comments:

  1. That first image is breathtaking. Thanks so much for sharing :).
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is indeed a very good thing! Love the photos and the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tee hee hee:) Patty-I know just what you mean!!! As I get older, I, too am laerning the value + necessity of slowing down to apprecitae the here + now. Love the Oregon pics...so beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m still trying to learn this lesson..thank you for reminding me to just be...and enjoy life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patty, you seem to be in a good place right now. It sounds to me that you have found a good balance, that works for you. There definitely are upsides to getting older - I see that as well. After all, our time is limited and if we don't just be now, then when?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful comments and insights!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!!