Thursday, May 3, 2012

Darkness



i’m smitten by the night.
something about darkness comforts me
perhaps some kind of primitive harkening
back to the womb
enveloped, safe, cushioned somehow
from the intense scrutiny of daylight
hidden
separated from its harsh intrusion
that lays us bare and strips us naked


shortly after i had written this, i ran across this poem.  thinking that we are on the same page.

you darkness from which i come,
i love you more than all the fires
that fence out the world,
for the fire makes a circle
for everyone
so that no one sees you anymore.

but darkness holds it all:
the shape and the flame,
the animals and myself,
how it holds them,
all powers, all sight –

and it is possible: its great strength
is breaking into my body.

i have faith in the night.

rainer maria rilke (translated by david whyte)






6 comments:

  1. night shots are so hard to take...you did a beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful beautiful photos and beautiful words as well,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful night shots, Patty. And Rilke - my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your night shots are amazing, they are so artistic. The last two are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kept oohing and aahing at each shot and then I got to the last one of the moon! It was so lovely on Friday and Saturday. I sort of wished I had a camera, but it was lovely to look at it instead when I was out for Atlas' middle-of-the-night potty breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW... LOOK AT THAT MOON! Gorgeous photos Patty.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!!