Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Something Completely Different

“help us to be ever faithful gardeners of the spirit, who know that without darkness nothing comes to birth, and without light nothing flowers”
 may sarton

i love this quote by may sarton as well as most of the books she has written. it reminds me that this saturday i will be embarking on a brand new journey – something where i will encounter both darkness and light, something i have been wanting to do for a while, but finally the scheduling is going to work. i will be starting my training as a hospice volunteer.

i have long been interested in end-of-life issues and have read a lot of books on this topic. i have spent quite a bit of time in retirement communities and assisted living facilities since that’s where i normally present my nomadic notebook shows.

yet this does feel completely different. i like that it will be stretching me in new directions. am i a little apprehensive? absolutely, but it’s ok. i'm up for a challenge and i know it will be a learning experience like none other that i have had.


6 comments:

  1. Patty,
    What a wonderous thing to do, what an incredible way to give back to the world. I have often thought of training to become a hospice volunteer but have not been ready. I will be curious to hear how the journey is for you. I know you will be wonderful at it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos are beautiful like always and your heart is beautiful too. i am in awe of you and what you will be doing to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Patty..I wept when reading this post. From the very first sentence, I knew full-well Heaven led me here this morning.

    I too, have explored an on-going interest in Life-After-Life and Spiritual Awareness. I've read everything written by Elisabeth Kubler Ross and have downloaded every piece of interest from Wayne Dyer, Caroline Myss and Dannion Brinkley(three of my absolute favorites).

    My husband and I are full-time caregivers of my mother who is nearing the final stage of Alzheimer's Disease, and I tell you this because it moves my spirit that you have chosen to lend yourself to the world of Hospice. The spiritual rewards of extending ourselves to those who need us most, are almost indescribable. You will see precisely what I mean and you proceed forward in your journey.

    Please continue to share your walk in this new direction with us. I apologize for my emotional expressiveness this a.m., I'm just so touched that Heaven led me here to read your post during what has been a very difficult night for me. It's just so wonderful to know there are other loving and caring spirits out there that make my own journey less difficult.

    Blessings, Joy & Serenity Be With You, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just blown away by all of your sweet and suportive comments both here and on my Facebok post! It really gives me confidence and helps me feel that I am following the right path. Love you all and I will keep you posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patty,

    you are so inspiring and loving.
    you will be so amazing and be helping many.
    what a light you are shining.

    these photos are absolutely breath taking and i am sending you a great big hug as you start this new journey tomorrow.

    a journey that will touch so many others.

    love you dearly!

    xoxo
    k

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so inspiring. This new journey will touch you and so many others. I hope you let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!!