Monday, May 24, 2010

Want What You Have – a Challenge




i love this phrase and this whole concept. it speaks to contentment. it speaks to letting go of the striving that we tend to put so much energy into. it speaks to letting go of comparing ourselves to others and especially to the things that they have. and it speaks to living in and appreciating the moment and all the wonderful blessings we have already been gifted with.


are you ready? i’ve been thinking a lot about this and i’ve turned it into a challenge. i’m going to try it and i hope you will too.

pick a day. doesn’t have to be today or tomorrow, but schedule it. write it on your calendar. designate it your official “want what i have” day.


here are some suggestions for your special day:
• when you get up in the morning, wear something that’s been hiding in your closet. something that you like but haven’t worn for a while. dig deep if you have to.

• when you get ready for the day, find some old make-up and lipstick that you haven’t used for a while. you know – the one you thought about throwing out but can’t quite bring yourself to do it.

• if you read the newspaper, skip the ads.


• don’t buy anything. no online, no offline, no itunes, no apps. NOTHING. did you forget? you already have everything you need! (carry your coffee in a thermos if you have to!)


• make your meals from stuff already in your cupboards or fridge.  you know the stuff – those cans of soup you got on sale and shoved them to the back of the shelf or that yummy casserole that you froze and then forgot about.  you get the idea.  add some of those spices that you bought for a special recipe and forgot about.



  • dig through your old cd’s or playlists (or if you're old like me, cassette tapes and records!) and find some cool music that you love but haven’t listened to in a while


• if you really want to get into it, dig out some old cards or letters that you’ve saved and reread them.

• instead of tv, consider opening the game cupboard. pull out the old ones that used to be really fun. or a puzzle. or a book you’ve been wanting to get back to.


• if you do art, use materials that you already have. paint colors you haven’t used for a while. instead of starting a new piece, pick up one you’ve set aside for a while. same thing could be applied to writing.


• if you have a job, think about how lucky you are to have it. or an income. or a house. or a car. or a bike.


• if you live with other people, tell them how important they are to you. reminisce about some of the good times. take out an old photo album and peruse it together.


• call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while and tell them you were thinking about them.



i’ll bet you can think of other ideas. i’d love for you to try it and let me know your thoughts. i’m going to do it too and i’ll let you know mine. don’t be too rigid with yourself – after all, it’s an awareness thing. most of all, have fun!!


oh - the photos were all taken in my own little yard.


 

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea, Patty! Thank you for the challenge - I have scheduled and written down my day already!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS idea....and i am up for the challenge!!! gonna grab my calendar and see what day works!!! love it!!

    and the pictures...
    my stars!!!!
    wow!
    wow!
    wow!

    the colors
    are so vibrant and yummy!!!

    big loves
    xoxo
    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know some of those thoughts were intended for me and I greatly appreciate the effort you have put into this challenge. I am looking at my calendar right now and I will have a date by bedtime.
    Thank you for saying just the right thing when people need to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Good writers capture your inner brain voice." I heard that statement today in an interview on the radio. That's what you've done with this post. Although I've been doing bits and pieces of this concept, I have now chosen a date and put it on the calendar. Thanks for formalizing my good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Patty..what a sensational post! I'm making Blog-Rounds for the first time in a long while and yours is my first stop. Sure have missed visiting your place! Girl..That first photo actually took my breath..sooo Beautiful! Loved the Blk/White Floral piece as well. But most of all..loved your suggestions.

    It's so great being back online after my brief holiday. I'll be visiting more often now that I've got my second wind.

    Hugs & Summer Sunshine, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. patty....
    THIS IS A WONDERFUL IDEA.
    i am going to play along.
    i will tell you when and how it goes.
    thank you for sharing your always amazing photos as well.
    i want to come camp out in your yard.
    BEAUTIFUL.
    i love you dear friend.

    xo
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous idea! I am going to play along too! I'll report back on how it goes. You have some great suggestions in there.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very good idea. It is often so difficult for us to realize we have it all.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!!