Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Holiday Spirit



i’m a little kid-like when it comes to the holidays.  as soon as the turkey is digested, i start thinking maybe it is time to pull out the holiday plates, activate my special playlist and start decorating.  rationally, i tell myself that december should really be the starting point for all this madness.  after all, i don’t want to OD on it before the 25th. but, little by little, things get pulled from their long hibernation hideouts  and start doing their part to make this a festive holiday.


at this point, the house is decorated and the tree is up.  we’ve already attended our first holiday party and i’m working on cards.  i’ve made some killer apple cranberry bread and given it away.  and i’m determined not to get stressed.  everything does not need to get done right now….. it will all happen in its own good time.  and as i stated in a previous post:  IT”S ALL CHRISTMAS.  right now.  this moment.  we do not have to wait for one day to enjoy all the good things that this season has to offer.  each little piece can bring us joy and meaning if we stay open to it.



having said all of that, i’m afraid it’s going to be kind of a rough one for us.  our worst fears for our sweet muffin (bone cancer) seem to be coming true.  after a respite that the medication provided, her limp has returned.  i already have her presents wrapped and under the tree, but i am doubtful that she will be with us at that time.  sigh.  one day at a time at this point. though my heart is breaking, i am determined to look at the big picture and find joy in other things. 


9 comments:

  1. I didn't know Muffin was ill. I am so sorry! Yes, the holidays can be stressful, and I often times find myself in a funk. My expectations for Christmas are too romantic I guess. I am also taking a class until the 17th, and that adds some stress as well. You're right to take it a day at a time. We need to enjoy the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear Muffin is sick. You know that I know how you feel. I still miss Sugar every day. I'm here for you, just as you were for me.
    Love you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photographs -- the spirit is everywhere. Such a gorgeous portrait of Muffin. I am so very sorry, Patty. Give her a big hug from Habibi and me. xxDonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is hurting for you, Patty dear. I wish there were something I could do. Sending love and good wishes from afar.

    Haha. You will laugh at my holiday ways. I am not really a holiday decorator, but I have a few things that I like to put out, just because I am fond of them (like a smoking Santa on skis from Germany! it is fantastic). Anyway, there are in a box at the top corner of my closet. Most of December, I think, "Well .. it's kind of a hassle to get them out. Maybe I'll skip it this year." Then, around the 20-something, I get all excited and haul them out and they are out for a few days, LOL. This year, I remembered my usual pattern and decided to haul them out early, so I put them out last night. I figured if I was going to get around to it eventually, I may as well enjoy it for more than a few days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Muffin. It is so hard to see a beloved pet suffering and then gone. I still miss the cats that never were mine but chose me as their "home". They just grab a very special place in your heart and it hurts when they leave.
    Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures. I love Christmas time, the lights, colours, scents and the warmth. Presents are not so important but it's nice to buy something for the kids.

    So sorry about your dog. Mine died from cancer too a few years ago. It was really quick, he started bleeding and they found out it had spread everywhere when they operated on him. Poor thing, hopefully he didn't suffer much before that. I asked them not to wake him up anymore because I knew the end would be just pain. So he peacefully slept away. I still have his picture on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read your post and the news about Muffin. I'm so sorry to hear that! Sending you love, peace and comfort. Big hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your house looks so beautifully decorated...but so sad about your sweet pup. She looks so pensive sitting there like that. Heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!!